Friday, 19 July 2019

DANGER: THICK ICE

You can stick a needle in my kneecap and I won't flinch

Not really, no. Don't do it. 

I'm recovering from an awful fever. Pretty high it shot up to 40.6c last Friday. It started with cough which I thought I had from cleaning up the room. Dusty and all. Turns out it was the start of an awful fever. No wonder I felt weak the whole week. A trip to A&E might've made things a little better. Wheelchair, trying the best to stay awake and not black out. The nurses were friendly. Quite a number of patients in the waiting area. My SPO2 was good but pulse too high. 144. It's due to the fever but they sent me for ECG just in case since I had a history of irregular heartbeat last year. 

Popped two paracetamol, waited for an hour (which is good - i managed to sweat from sitting on the wheelchair and covering half my face with the surgical mask). Dr Ong served me. He took some blood test but my blood dripped all over my elbow. Little did I know it'll bruise me, lol. Had to take some urine test to rule out any kind of infection since my lumbar hurt so much each time I have a fever. 

I was sent to have Sodium Chloride drip for 2 hours. It was hell. I still had a fever of 38.6. When the NaCl started flowing through my veins, it felt cold. I guessed it was normal? NO. Actually, yes. But at the same time N O. The seat I took had an open vent where the aircon was blasting right towards the bag of NaCl. Imagine having ice cold water flowing through your body??? In your veins?? I shivered. I had to pee. Along with my hoody, I thought it could make me feel warm. I was w r o n g. I began shaking like the old school bubble tea shaker. The one you need to manually shake. Heck, the one you use in bars. I didn't know what to do. Got back to my seat and asked the nurse but I think she did not understand what I meant by "is it supposed to be this cold". It's okay. I wrapped myself in the hospital blanket, topped with my hoody. Still not helping. Tried to sleep but husband was away so I had to keep a look out in case he texted me. Couldn't sleep. Kept on staring at the NaCl bag. Not even halfway through. 

The doctor checked and told the nurse to increase the dosage (?). The thing which controls the speed of the liquid thingy. I was told to not fold my arms. Keep it straight. Indeed helped the flow. Ended at 3.45am instead of 4.30am. Still shivering. Could feel my fever slowly creeping back up. Did not dare move since I had to warm my body a.s.a.p. 

After a while I was called in again and was told my tests were all normal. Had asthma but no longer wheezing since they gave me 1 cycle of nebulizer. Collected meds where I stood outside the A&E to have the last attempt to warm up my body but to no avail. We ate breakfast at the nasi lemak shop infront of A&E although it was white rice and not nasi lemak but who the hell cares, I was famished! My fever came back thanks to the cold shock. 

We Grabbed home. Due to the shock and sudden stress, my fever shot up to 39.6 again. Fell asleep.. and went out the next day since kiddo wants to follow his grandparents out. So I guess why not just force myself to have a slow day..

Unfortunately, we came back home to a sick kid. High fever, got it from me. Took him 3 days to recover. Now, thank goodness, he's fine and is back to school. We're left with runny nose and cough. The most annoying post-cold/flu! 

Alright bye