Tuesday, 30 October 2018

A New Experience

25 October 2018

I've given up on hoping his fever will get any better. The Polyclinic doctor did not check his breathing at all. Basically, he didn't even touch the stethoscope. Upon knowing this 4 year old has had a fever of 39.6c for 3 days, he could still say it's normal - doesn't need anti biotic too - and gave us the same medicines prescribed to us as the time we went to Polyclinic for his slight cough and fever. 

This made me decide on seeing our private doctor instead. It was on the 6th day of his high fever. My dad accompanied us as Raf was away with reservist. We reached early. Dr Sim checked his lungs and immediately he advised us to head down to KKH as he heard some fluid in both of Junior's lungs. He could give us anti-biotics but he wants to see to what extend has the fluid conquered his lungs. We went back home to take my charger and some more diapers. Dad had to go back to work due to lack of manpower. Raf was still at CDA. He could come down to A&E but he'll need to talk to his officer.  I was in a state of numb-panic. I took a stick in the toilet and booked Grab. Junior was dehydrated in the car. Dry lips, hard breathing. He looked pale. 

I bought him Pocari once we reached the hospital. Took our number and was called by the triage. It wasn't packed when we reached. His spO2 level was okay - 98%. We were on the priority list for X-Ray and everything else since this involved his breathing. In the mean time, Raf managed to get off his reservist and come down to accompany us. Just had to produce documents. 

The doctor called us in. I acknowledged the doctor's name but I forgot what it was. An Indian guy. He checked Junior's temperature, lungs, and agreed that he hears fluid inside. He set us up for an X-Ray and blood test to make sure it's viral and not bacterial. 

The nurses gave him 1 cycle of Ventolin and another inhaler to open up his airway. Paracetamol after that. They were quite surprised to see him comfortable and not cry like the other kids who had to do the cycle. After that, blood test. Again, surprisingly, he did not cry nor reject. He even giggled afterwards. 

X-ray time. He didn't cry nor cling on to me. The nurse told him to smile, it's like taking a photo. He literally smiled. Lol. 

The doctor called us in and checked his wheezing/crackling. It was still there but a lot better. He told us he'll give Junior another 2 cycles. If the wheezing persists, he'll have to take Junior in aka Hospitalized. I know it's for his own good but I feel bad for him. Furthermore, Raf was having reservist. I was afraid it'll affect him. I, personally, can't overnight there. I panic too easily. 

Raf reached when Junior was having his ventolin cycle. We went up to have late lunch afterwards. Came back to A&E, he still had wheezing. Total of 4-5 cycles of Ventolin. We then decided to just let him stay over at the hospital.. Sob. 

The first day was not really okay. I was anxious, pressured, sad. I followed them up to the ward and stayed for 30 minutes before I headed home to pack their belongings. The in-laws were on the way to Tampines to fetch me. So I had some 'me' time at home to smoke and relax my mind. I was having migraine. Held on to my vomit until I reached the hospital. KKH new system sucks - only max 4 visitors per patient - at the same time was so called okay since usually families of 8-10 visit and have what should I say close to a picnic in the ward. 

I'll continue later.