Thursday, 1 March 2018

When life gives you a tight smack in the chest

After Junior ended his war with a fever of 5 days, I got it. I got it bad. My temperature shot up from 36.9 to 41.3 and it stayed at 39.4 for 3 days. I couldn't take the pain it was giving my chest. I could hardly breathe! On the first night of the fever, I even had seizures when I was asleep. I refused to go to the doctor because I can't be bothered and I really couldn't move anywhere. My joints, muscles, even gums were aching too much. Whatever I ate tasted bitter. Whatever I drank turns into vomit the next 5 seconds. Coughing didn't help with the phlegm and sputum - so you guessed it, I vomited. Unwillingly... vomited. Bitter, bitter bile. Still no sign of phlegm. Just white bile. Disgusting.

I finally gave up on Sunday night. I volunteered to go to the hospital.

At the triage, I thought things would be as per normal. Normal BP, etc etc. But the nurse told me my heartbeat was a little off and too fast. They sent me to ECG. Indeed, I had heart palpitation. I'm guessing it was bad asthma. In the doctor's room, with no hesitation, Dr. Fatiyah gave me a blood test. 3 tubes of blood test. To make sure I don't have dengue fever. Honestly, it doesn't hurt at all. Next, again, she unhesitantly gave me a steroid shot (for my lungs). Again, it did not hurt. But the needle stayed in. Pretty sure in case I had to be given another dose of steroids.

After 10 minutes, I was starting to feel jittery. My jaw clenched, my eyes wide open, I was feeling cold but sweaty. I could feel my heart pumping as though someone played the bass drum beside my left ear. They sent me into another room where I received the nebulizer. 2 cycles of it. It was darn cool (and cold, literally). Never felt such a good taste of sweet sweet Ventolin-oxygen thingy.  The nurses gave me a dose of Dextromethorphan and that effervescent medicine for phlegm (both of these tasted like bitter shit coming from a dying mother cow). I was feeling hopeful at this time as I couldn't hear anymore wheezing in my chest and I could cough out some phlegm. Somewhere in the middle of the 2 cycles, I was dozing off again. I wanted to black out.

All done after that, I had to get my Xray done. Took me about less than 3 minutes. At this point, I was already in a state of confusion and I was really disorganized. The medicines + steroids? A killer. Especially for me who has been clean off even my psychiatric drugs for months.
The doctor checked my lungs again and there's no more wheezing so it's a clear to be discharged BUT she had to send my case over to the boss for the shift to make sure it's okay to discharge me. So I had to wait. I was famished. Bought the sandwich from the vending machine. I couldn't eat it. Everything's bitter especially with the medicines running inside of me. The husband, being such a good person, let me smoke. Lol. Even cigarettes tasted BITTER.

The doctor called and it was time for the last check. I still had heart palpitation and she said it's better to be admitted. For observation at least. Which takes 8 hours. I refused. It will take too long and I really want to go home. Staying there just because of that reason is not worth it. I prefer staying in because of high fever or pregnancy. Plus, on normal days, my heartbeats do feel faster. I have anxiety, what do you expect. Signed off the documents, proceeded to payment and pharmacy. Bam... I'm off. We walked to Eastpoint, thinking to take the bus home. But husband didn't have his fare card. So we took Uber.

We reached home about midnight or after midnight. Glad to see the junior already asleep (this is the first time mom managed to let him sleep without ignoring my instructions). I went off to bed.

The next day... 

Husband was supposed to be at home for the last day before reservist. Until... he got a call from SCDF, asking him if he's coming. He was confused. I was confused. We were confused. Turns out, it's for some PC briefing which not everyone has to go. He went off and I tried my best to go back to bed. Junior had to go to school but since I was too weak, he stayed home. It was a boring day for him.
For Tuesday and Wednesday, I had to fight my weakness. I saved my energy and sent him to school. Both of the days I felt like a vegetable dried up at home. Constantly vomiting, feeling nauseous, my stomach in pain. Fortunately, today, I feel better although my temperature spiked up for an hour due to overthinking. I managed to work today and now I'm still able to sit and use the laptop. I need a rest soon.